While not all provinces have a holiday tomorrow, February 20, Ontario is one of the lucky ones. I'm not a huge fan of labeling this a holiday celebration. I mean, it's really great to have a created day off at what is usually the coldest and dreariest time of the year. But it's not a "holiday" in the strict sense. (Don't get me started on the political origins of the day.)
At any rate, our kids are off school, and most of us in Ontario are off work. As a work-outside-the-home mom, I do treasure bonus days with my little guy, so I am definitely not complaining! We have a press event to attend tomorrow, with fun kids' activities, but if you are still looking for ideas, there is certainly lots happening. If you happen to be in or around Scarborough, you may want to consider the following!
- Parks & Rec with the City of Toronto has lots of facilities open for families to enjoy. You can see the schedule and specifics of what is open, and the hours, on their Family Day page. In Scarborough, free outdoor public skating is happening from 9am-10pm at the Scarborough Civic Centre (150 Borough Dr).
- For those preferring a warmer activity, both Agincourt RC and Centennial RC are offering Leisure Swim from 2-5pm. (You can check out drop-in swim fees here.)
-An indoor skating event is being hosted at Agincourt RC by C.D. Farquharson Community Association. This is their third annual Family Day Skate. Free admission, hot chocolate, refreshments and prizes.
- The Toronto Zoo is always a favourite with our family. The Zoo is open 9:30am-4:30pm, and they encourage us all to come spend some quality time with their Zoo families, including the lowland gorillas and komodo dragons. Non-members can save 10% at the gift shop, and members increase their discount to 20%. Plus you can enjoy a discounted Beaver Tails combo - Small hot chocolate & cinnamon sugar BeaverTails for just $4.99 (regular price $7.00). Great way to warm up from the winter chill.
- You could also check out one of Scarborough's indoor playgrounds:
Funnelz 24 Lebovic Ave., Unit C
Mega Fun 4 Kids 91 Rylander Blvd. (open 9am-1pm)
All for Fun and Fun for All 770 Birchmount Rd., Unit 24
- Or have you considered bowling?? Check out Parkway Bowl for an inexpensive and fun family activity.
Whatever you do, whether it's a day out or a day in (a good DVD and some popcorn is also a great option!), have fun. Enjoy your families and take pleasure in an extra day of leisure together.