According to a recent COVERGIRL survey of Canadian female smartphone users aged 18 to 49, 59% take two to four pics before landing on one that is share-worthy, so I'm clearly not alone in this.
Almost half (45%) of women surveyed say that they have, or would, allow a photo to be taken but then would avoid sharing it online. In fact, 28% are actually opting to include someone or something else - even pets - in their profile pictures and 19% used a group shot to divert the spotlight.
“Our lives today are documented on screens. From a selfie to the red carpet, all women want to be prepared to transition beautifully from the real to the virtual world,” says Amelie Ducharme, COVERGIRL Canada Makeup Pro. “COVERGIRL wants to give women the tools needed to feel on-screen ready, taking the selfie to the next level and turning it into a #covermoment.”
Ducharme explains that a #covermoment is when a person feels their most beautiful and empowered and wants to share the experience with the world. It celebrates the uniqueness in everyone, and showcases the times in life when someone feels their most confident, independent and authentic. I think this meshes well with the #365feministselfie, with a celebration of ourselves. Amélie believes that you can rock your own #covermoment and feel confident in your look with just a few simple tips:
|my favourite selfies are with my little Boo|
- Let your skin take centre stage: Given the opportunity to retouch a profile picture, one third (33%) of women surveyed agreed that “flawless skin” is the most important attribute to showcase. Skip the post-production and create a perfect canvas from the start with COVERGIRL TruBlend Liquid Makeup. Matching 98% of all skin tones in Canada, TruBlend features unique pigments for a natural and seamless look. Moreover, you can let your personality shine instead of your t-zone with the all new TruMagic Skin Perfector for a matte finish. (I am loving this product!)
- Duck face is out, glam smiles are in: According to the survey, when considering which profile picture to post on a dating website, 34% of surveyed women say a casual, natural look is most important while 29% say a great smile will get you noticed. So lose the exaggerated pout (i.e., the ‘Duck Face’) and get ready to flash those pearly whites with a boost from Crest 3D White Whitestrips 1 Hour Express, which will remove years of stains in just one hour. Enhance that grin by gliding on the sheer colour and shimmering shine of Smoochies Sizzle Gloss.
- The eyes have it: From ‘smizing’ to ‘squinching’, much of the talk around getting the perfect shot focuses on the eyes. In fact, 16% of women surveyed said they adjusted their poses for bigger looking eyes, but Ducharme says there’s no need. “Bold, dark lashes will contrast against the white of your eyes, making them really pop and appear larger.” With the new COVERGIRL Bombshell Volume mascara you can get sultry, sexy lashes in just two steps. First, load on the volume with the big brush and mega-volumizing formula, then follow with the dark, topcoat for a jet-black finish.
I'm finding the results of this survey pretty interesting. It seems many of us ladies worry quite a bit about our appearance and are not particularly fond of having our picture taken or shared. Here are some more tidbits -
- While selfies are most often taken to celebrate a new look (24%) or a new experience (18%), seventeen per cent of respondents admit they often or sometimes retouch their selfie photos to enhance the final result.
- When not feeling on screen ready, one third (32%) of women surveyed have or would move to the back row of a group photo to be less visible and 31% have or would offer to be the picture taker to stay behind the scenes. (That's me!)
- Women have more than just one trick up their sleeves to snap that perfect selfie. Eighteen per cent of respondents have done the three-quarter pose for a more angular or defined look while others have adjusted the flash to avoid shine (17%) and dimmed the lighting or used a filter to improve the look of their skin (14%).
- Nearly half of all women surveyed (46%) are updating their profile pictures at least once every six months and 21% have adjusted privacy settings on their social media platforms to ensure they have photo approval before it is released unto the digital world.
- When it comes to video calls, 15% say they have declined a video call because they didn't feel on-screen ready, 14% have applied or touched up makeup before a video call and 18 % say they have changed locations for more flattering lighting.
Ready for your close-up? One lucky Raising My Boys reader will receive a Covergirl #covermoment prize pack, valued at approximately $47.00, and including:COVERGIRL Bombshell Volume Mascara
COVERGIRL TruBlend Foundation
COVERGIRL TruMagic Skin Perfector
COVERGIRL Lipslicks Smoochies Sizzle Gloss
Entries are via the Rafflecopter widget below and will be accepted until 12:00 midnight EST, March 10. Giveaway is open to Canadian residents only, excluding Quebec. Best of luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I am a P&Gmom. As part of my affiliation with this group I receive products and special access to P&G events and opportunities. The opinions on this blog, as always, remain my own. By entering this contest you are accepting that, if you win, your contact information will be shared with a P&G PR and shipping agency for the purpose of mailing your prize. Please allow 4-6 weeks from the contest closure date to receive your prize. This giveaway may appear on other blogs as part of the #PGmom program. However, to be fair, you can only win once per giveaway. If your name is chosen more than once, another winner will be selected. All winners must be from within Canada excluding Quebec.