Enter a whole new life, with a move to Toronto, a long commute to work, and family responsibilities, and things started to slide. I let my health and fitness suffer for a long time, but over this past year I've been making efforts to get back on track. And my family is getting on track as well, through a series of small changes.
I'm sure there are a lot of big steps we could take, but we've started with simple things, like keeping an eye on portion sizes and adding a fish meal each week. Even adding a dog to our family was part of my plan, as I knew I'd be more likely to get out and get active if I had a little four-legged friend depending on me for her daily half hour walks. Since this time last year I've lost 15 pounds. Slow and steady. My husband has lost even more, but I won't post his numbers without his permission. Suffice it to say, he looks great and I see a real change in his energy levels.
SUBWAY® Restaurants have launched a Commit to Fit™ pledge and contest, to encourage Canadians to make healthy choices and swap out bad habits for good. This campaign is so in line with my own goals right now, it was a perfect fit, and I'm delighted to have been chosen to help promote it! Throughout May, and into June, my family and I have committed to making these "Fresh Swaps," and will be incorporating Subway options into our meal plans.
First, a little about the pledge!
SUBWAY® Commit to Fit™ Pledge Contest:
- SUBWAY® Restaurants is encouraging Canadians to take the Commit to Fit™ Pledge and commit to leading a healthier, active lifestyle. How? By making great food and lifestyle choices and swapping old habits for fresh new approaches to healthy, active living.
- From May 1-October 31, 2014, visit, facebook.com/SUBWAYCanada to take the SUBWAY® Commit to Fit™ Pledge for your chance to win a grand prize of $10,000 cash plus a $500 SUBWAY® cash card
- Once you've taken the Pledge you can track your progress by logging your fresh swaps and activities in the three categories: Nutrition, Exercise and Wellness (swapping salty snacks for fresh fruit, taking the stairs instead of the elevator or trying a new fitness class)
- Once you've completed a Fresh Swap or healthy activity, register it in your personal online logbook
- Additional SUBWAY® $250 cash cards will be awarded monthly to those users who log their fresh swaps and fitness activities
So, for instance, every morning I have two cups of coffee. Minimum. I often don't eat breakfast, but I'm working on this. Today, I swapped out my second cup of coffee for a much healthier, but also energising, green tea and banana smoothie. I feel great! Boo has been swapping out pop and juice for water and milk. When we went to the mall the other day, we parked a bit further away than we needed, just to get a few more daily steps in. How about taking the stairs instead of the elevator? Or adding meditation or yoga to your daily routine? (Swap out the TV??) There are lots of ideas in the Commit to Fit pledge. Check them out!
How does the Subway menu fit into a healthier lifestyle? Well, for starters, the sandwiches are prepared fresh and present so many options for customising a sandwich perfect for you. There are many low-fat options and 8 sandwiches specifically with 6 grams of fat or less - Ham, Oven Roasted Chicken, Roast Beef, SUBWAY® Club, Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, Turkey Breast, Turkey Breast and Ham and Veggie Delite. These sandwiches are also low in saturated fat, trans fat-free and low in cholesterol. Since 2008, Subway has reduced sodium by 13% across all sandwiches and by 29% in these 6 grams or less options. Looking for more fibre? There are bread options as well, including the higher fibre honey oat and 9 grain varieties. And of course there are so many free veggie toppings.
Last week we had a very busy day and there was no way dinner was getting cooked at home. Instead of picking up a greasy fast food meal, we went to Subway. Boo chose tuna, and added lettuce, tomato and cucumber. I had roast chicken and swapped out the mayo for avocado. Excellent taste and healthy fats. Plus, I always add loads of veggies. Hubs decided to forgo his usual extra cheese.
Tips for healthy choices, from Subway:
- To reduce fat, swap out cheese, bacon and creamy dressing
- To reduce sodium, swap out cheese, bacon, salt, mustard, mayonnaise, jalapeno peppers, olives and pickles
- When watching calories, swap out bacon, cheese and mayonnaise and choose low-calorie sauces
The “Nutrimeter” allows the consumer to select their choice of bread, cheese, meat, vegetables and sauce to create a “virtual” sandwich. It will then accurately calculate the nutritional value of the customized sandwich
The “Nutrimeter” is available online atwww.facebook.com/SUBWAYCanada.
Twitter PartyI hope you'll be able to join us this Wednesday evening as we get together on Twitter to talk about how easy it can be to make positive changes and to chat about SUBWAY®‘s Commit to Fit™ Pledge. You could win 1 of 6 $50 SUBWAY® Restaurant gift cards to help get you started on your pledge.
When: Wednesday, May 21, @ 9:00pm EDT
Where: On Twitter at #SUBWAYFreshSwap
Why: Fabulous prizes and great conversation!
NO RSVP NEEDED!
Check out the full Rules and Regulations here.
And of course, to keep up on all the happenings with SUBWAY® Canada, be sure to like and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
Disclosure: I am part of the SUBWAY® Restaurants Commit to Fit™ Blogger Campaig,n and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog, as always, remain my own.