I decided to put together a little video to show you how easy it is to DIY your own hanging basket. You can of course buy one ready-made, but I think it's extra special to select and arrange the plants yourself. And, depending on where you would normally buy your basket, planting one yourself can save a lot of money. These things get pricey! Once you have the basket itself, you can use it year after year with new plants.
The basic tips:
1. Choose your colour scheme.
2. Choose plants that will fill in and vine down over the sides, not stand straight up.
3. Grasp plants firmly, right at the soil line, and gently pull or squeeze out of their garden centre pots.
4. Remove excess roots and soil from your plants. It's ok to be a little rough. Loosen roots to ensure best contact with soil.
5. Make a small depression in the soil and press your plant in. Firm it around with more soil.
6. The more the merrier. Containers should be planted tight for best moisture retention and best visual appeal.
7. Use a potting soil with a fertilizer added, or apply a fertilizer specific to planters. I like Miracle Gro products that feed continuously for 3-4 months. That way I don't have to remember to feed again during the summer.
Did you find this video helpful? Are there gardening topics you'd like to see me cover in future videos? Let me know in the comments below!