It's a little late for Canadian Thanksgiving (but not for the US!) and a little early for Christmas, but I do like to be prepared. To be fair, this was on the calendar for posting prior to Thanksgiving, but life threw me a curve ball and things got pushed back (did you notice I was gone?). Regardless of the timing, I want to share these tips with you, because I think they are easily portable to any holiday hosting occasion, not just the big Thanksgiving meal.
When we host a gathering, we want our homes to be welcoming, clean, and beautifully decorated for the occasion. And, if you're like me, you want it all to be manageable and allow for plenty of time to enjoy your guests' company. With that in mind, HGTV's Sarah Baeumler shares these tips for incorporating some simple décor, prep and clean-up ideas into your celebrations.
- Simplicity is key: When it comes to decorating, less is more! Over decorating is time-consuming and leaves your home feeling cluttered. A simple look will brighten your space and leave more room for mingling.
- Seasonal Florals: Fresh flowers on the dining table are a must, though one large centerpiece isn’t always the best choice when entertaining guests. Dial up the holiday spirit and leave more space on the table for turkey using smaller, in-season floral arrangements with fruit and vegetable accents to decorate your table instead of an oversized arrangement.
- Warm welcome: Start impressing your guests before they even walk in the door! Take your holiday colour scheme outdoors and set a welcoming mood with lavish greenery adorned with seasonal décor such as leaves and pine cones.
- Switch up your colours: Branch out from your traditional Thanksgiving colours and choose a colour palette reflective of your style. Using all white or different shades of white can help to keep your look clean and crisp. Or, add a festive shimmer with copper, silver or gold accents.
- Overnight guests: Soft white linens and duvets for your guests will make them feel like they’re staying at a luxurious hotel. Keep a basket with white towels and toiletry items they might have forgotten, like toothbrushes and toothpaste, for an added touch of elegance.
Prep & Clean-up Tips
- Outdoor décor: To revive last year’s décor and keep it looking new, use OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover Powder. It’s the perfect solution to remove dirt, dust and grime from decorations that were sitting in storage or outside throughout the fall.
- Dress to impress: Don’t shy away from wearing your favourite party dress for fear of spills and stains. OxiClean™ Liquid Laundry Detergent will keep your clothes looking vivid and bright and remove any dried-on stains the first time.
- Attack spills and stains: There’s always a risk of spills and stains at any social gathering. Be prepared for a spill to happen by mixing OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover Powder and warm water in a squeezable bottle before the party starts but make sure not to seal the bottle and to discard the mixture afterwards.
- Get the kids involved: Having the kids set and clear the table gives adults some well-deserved down time. Don’t stress about their scraping and rinsing skills, OxiClean™ Extreme Power Crystals™ Dishwasher Detergent and Triple Action Dishwasher Booster will remove the toughest stuck on foods and stains to keep your dish and glassware sparkling clean and free of debris – no pre-rinsing or pre-washing necessary!
- Linens and Towels: To keep white linens brilliantly white and looking their best for your guests, use OxiClean™ White Revive™ to get tough stains out the first time. To keep colourful towels vivid and bright wash-after-wash, use OxiClean™ Liquid Laundry Detergent.
Sarah’s reputation as the ‘hostess with the mostest’ is proof that anyone can find the time to entertain at home while juggling a family and career. With a few simple tips and hacks for entertaining the kids and simplifying her party prep and clean-up, Sarah has much more time to enjoy good food and plenty of laughs with her loved ones.
A GiveawayWe have a great bundle of OxiClean products, valued at approximately $40, to send out to a lucky RMB reader. The package includes:
- OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover 680 g
- OxiClean™ Max Force White Revive™ 1.28kg/42 loads
- OxiClean™ Liquid Laundry Detergent in Fresh Scent 1.42L/32wl
- OxiClean™ Extreme Power Crystals™ Dishwasher Detergent 42 PAK (756 g) Tub
- OxiClean™ Triple Action Dishwasher Booster 461ml
This is a great set of items to help get your home ready for the next big celebration, and to get it back in shape afterwards too!
Entries are via the widget below and will be accepted until 11:59pm ET, November 4. Giveaway is open to Canadian residents only. Best of luck!