I'm going to ask you a very personal question. How often do you brush your teeth? Twice a day? Once a day? More? Less? Arm & Hammer Dental recently commissioned a study of Canadians' oral hygiene habits, and they found that 95% of Canadians brush their teeth at least once per day (what about that other 5%??), but only 54% brush at least twice per day. I admit that I generally fall into the once per day group, although I'm known to do a quick additional brush if I'm going out in the evening. I can't stand the feel of unclean teeth.
Arm & Hammer have put together this infographic to share some of their findings. I'm not surprised that deep cleaning is the number one thing Canadians look for when choosing their toothpaste. That's a key reason I've been using Arm & Hammer for years - the baking soda does an amazing job at getting my teeth their cleanest. Flavour is my second most important factor though (it seems to be fourth in the survey results). It's in my mouth, so I have to be happy with the taste.
Of course, dental hygiene is not just about fresh breath and preventing cavities, although those are clearly important. Gum disease, oral pain, missing teeth and infections are terrible and dangerous to deal with. With the help of Arm & Hammer Dental products, families can ensure their teeth are fresh, clean and leave them feeling revitalized.
Getting our kids to brush their teeth can be a struggle. It's not the most interesting of activities, and getting that recommended 2 minute brush in can be very trying for the younger set, anxious to get on to the next big thing. Here are a few tips to make the process a little easier on you and your children.
- Make a game of it. Adding some fun can go a long way. If your child is very small and you are still doing the brushing, allow them to brush your teeth first, then it's your turn to brush theirs. If you have more than one child, have them brush together and compete to see who can make it to the 2 minute mark (we hope they all will!)
- Let them choose their toothpaste. Taste is important. If your child hates mint, don't make them use a minty toothpaste. Try one of the child-friendly fruit or bubblegum flavours instead. Let them tell you what they prefer.
- Make it a routine. Routine is so important with most kids, so choose a time (or times) for tooth brushing, and be consistent. Right before bed, and right after breakfast are good options. Or have them brush after every meal, at least at home. Just be sure to be consistent so it becomes a habit.
- Use a timer. Some electric toothbrushes come with an external digital display timer, or have a built-in timer function that buzzes or vibrates to tell you how long you have brushed. Others play a song that's 2 minutes long. There are lots of options out there. And if you prefer a manual brush, you can set a kitchen timer for 2 minutes, or ask your dentist if they have timers on hand. Ours gives out little hourglass timers to the kids. Boo loves them!
- Get them a toothbrush they will love. This is another place where there are so many options. Whether it's a favourite colour or favourite character, you may be surprised at the range of possibilities you will find in the dental care aisle. Arm & Hammer has a great selection of licensed brushes, including Marvel characters, My Little Pony, Paw Patrol, Mario, and Disney. Having their favourite superhero help them brush goes a long way!
They'll be heading back to school in no time, and their oral health is an important thing to consider. Plus, no one wants to be known as the kid with the bad breath.
Do you have any tips or tricks that have helped you get your kids to brush?
|prize not exactly as shown|
A fun brush is a great way to encourage kids to look after their teeth. To help you with this, one lucky RMB reader will receive a prize pack, valued at approximately $100, and including the following:
- Arm & Hammer™ Kid’s Spinbrush™ My Little Pony™ Battery Brush
- Arm & Hammer™ Kid’s Spinbrush™ My Little Pony™ Manual Brush
- Arm & Hammer™ Kid’s Spinbrush™ Paw Patrol™ Battery Brush
- Arm & Hammer™ Kid’s Spinbrush™ Paw Patrol™ Manual Bruch
- Arm & Hammer™ Kid’s Spinbrush™ Disney Descendants™ Battery Brush
Entries are via the widget below and will be accepted until 11:59pm EDT, August 31, 2016. Giveaway is open to Canadian residents only, excluding Quebec. Best of luck!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Arm & Hammer. All opinions on this blog, as always, remain my own.